My most recent research aims to explain and predict when unintended effects occur in response to persuasive and strategic messages, especially those that are designed to be pro-social – such as health campaigns. I am especially interested in testing when and why youth resist campaigns, interventions, and policies designed to protect them from engaging in risky behaviors.
Unintended effects of persuasive messaging, youth and media, health communication
Media effects, Media and Human Development, Persuasion, Strategic Communication
Awards and Honors
- ISS Research Fellowship (2019) Institute for the Social Sciences
- Donald C. Burgett Distinguished Advising Award (2017) College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Kendall S. Carpenter Memorial Advising Award (2016) College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching (2013) State University of New York
- Innovative Teaching Award (2012) Cornell University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Byrne, S., Kalaji, M., & Niederdeppe, J. (2018). Tobacco Regulatory Science (TRS). 4:18-37.
- Byrne, S., Safi, A. G., Kemp, D., Skurka, C., Davydova, J., Scolere, L., Mathios, A. D., Avery, R. J., Dorf, M. C., Steinhardt, J., & Niederdeppe, J. (2017). Health Communication. 34:306-316.
- Schuldt, J., McComas, K. A., & Byrne, S. (2016). Communicating about ocean health: Theoretical and practical considerations. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences.
- Byrne, S., Katz, S., Mathios, A., & Niederdeppe, J. (2014). Health Communication.
- Byrne, S., Katz, S. J., Lee, T., Linz, D., & McIlrath, M. (2014). Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication. 19:215-231.
- Byrne, S., Niederdeppe, J., Avery, R., & Cantor, J. (2013). Health Communication. 28:800-813.
- Niederdeppe, J., Byrne, S., Avery, R., & Cantor, J. (2013). Journal of General Internal Medicine. 28:886-893.
- Byrne, S., Gay, G. K., Pollak, J. P., Gonzales, A. L., Retelny, D., Lee, T., & Wansink, B. (2012). Journal of Children and Media. 6:83-89.
- Byrne, S., Guillory, J., Mathios, A., Avery, R., & Hart, P. S. (2012). Journal of Health Communication. 17:1119-1137.
- Byrne, S., & Lee, T. (2011). Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media. 55:90-113.